Saturday, December 15, 2012

Review: Arcadia's Gift by Jesi Lea Ryan

Arcadia's Gift by Jesi Lea Ryan

(received by author for an honest review)


"Most people who experience death don’t live to tell about it.
When sixteen year old Arcadia “Cady” Day wakes in a hospital
 after experiencing what can only be called a psychic episode, 
she finds her family in tatters. With her twin sister gone, 
her dad moved out, her mom’s spiraling depression and 
her sister’s boyfriend, Cane, barely able to look at her, 
the only bright spot in her life is Bryan Sullivan, the new guy
 in school. When Bryan’s around, Cady can almost pretend she’s 
a regular girl, living a regular life; when he’s not, she’s wracked with wild, inexplicable mood swings. As her home life crumbles and her emotional control slips away, Cady begins to suspect that her first psychic episode was just the beginning…"


Thoughts:

This book was given to me by the author for free for an honest review....
This book was really good for a self-published author. I particularly loved the characters, and it was a really cool concept. But I also kind of hated the ending to be honest. It's not that I have anything against self-published/indie authors or anything. Overall I enjoyed the book.

Arcadia's Gift starts off with a prologue that really got my attention, and I loved the book right off the bat. The story was overall fast paced, and had this "spunk" to it that I really loved. The detailing of the physic episodes were awesome, and the events had natural flow.

Cady was a character that was intriguing from the first page. I really loved the story of her losing her sister and getting the courage to be able to continue with her life. The other side characters were enjoyable. I loved Bryan right off the bat, and Aaron was darling. 

The last thing that I really liked about this book was the "raw" way that the story was written, and how the emotions were expressed.A few things that could have been improved upon was the fact that the budding love triangle with Cane was just thrown in at the end. I honestly really hated that part. One last thing was that I didn't really like was just the ending in general. The last line of the book was okay, but the last like 20 pages just felt wrong. 
Overall, pretty good book!
-M
P.S. Thanks to the author. It was the first book that I had gotten for free from anyone/author, so it was really exciting for me.


3.5 out of 5 stars


Pay Jesi Lea Ryan a visit on her Goodreads page here!
View the Goodreads page for Arcadia"s Gift here.







No comments:

Post a Comment