Sunday, December 23, 2012

Review: Opal (Lux Series #3) by Jennifer L Armentrout

Opal (Lux Series #3) by Jennifer L Armentrout


"No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... 
There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. 
I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. 
When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the 
path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing
 hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. 
The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most 
unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, 
but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it."

Thoughts:

Dude, I don’t even know what a cliffhanger is anymore…..

I think there is something wrong with me that likes Jennifer L Armentrouts’s first novel, hates the second one, and likes the third one again. I really liked Deity and I hated Half-Blood, and I didn’t really like Onyx and I liked Opal. What is this strange phenomenon? Anyway the book was brilliant, and I loved how the characters really got their own (deeper) personalities and feelings.

The fact that Katy had to deal with the death of Adam and all the repercussions afterwards really gets a lot of weight in this book. Katy has to deal with Dee, the Thompson’s, Will and a swath of other things and you get punched in the face with her emotions and I really liked that. In the last book I got very annoyed with her in her bad decisions. She was rash and too stubborn with what was laid out in front of her. In Opal Kat is tormented, but it is at a much more dark and sinister level. I don’t tend to like JLA’s main characters in general because they are always very hot-headed, but her novels are always just so great that I don’t mind!

I felt as though the story stuttered a little at the beginning in pace, but as it picked up I found myself really in tune with the events and emotions that were going on in the book. I would have liked to see the Arum a bit more instead of the threat with the DOD and others because that was what the main focus of the first book was. The three novels have; however, had natural progression of plot which was really great. The character who reappears (no spoiler review, but at the end of second book) brings new life to the story, and he was just really fun to read for some reason. (I was however worried about a love triangle… yay for me!) This book revamps the initial excitement for the first book to second book transition and the MASSIVE-CLIFFHANGER-WHICH-WAS-WORSE-THAN-INSURGENT feel which is very promising. I am happy to say that I enjoyed it!

Let’s not forget to discuss the alien-man-beauty that is Daemon. The romance is off the chain for the typical YA genre and everyone can’t deny the arguments that they have are totally awesome. Daemon is hilarious and their relationship is basically the definition of “hot n’ cold”.  Basically all throughout the book you are expecting him to say those major three words. But as usual, JLA takes the extreme joy in writing it in at the exact last moment when you lose hope. But guess what? It was perfect! That whole scene was heartbreaking and stopping as the final chapter came to a close.

I think I actually like the Covenant series a bit (a tiny bit) more because of the calmness that is Aiden St. Delphi. There is the massive love triangle that I am putting myself through the meat grinder to read though (I mean I really can’t complain because she chose him, but Alex and Seth are meant to be together, so I’m really sad & nervous that Aiden won’t end up with her and JLA will be mean)….. So I guess they ARE even. Overall, very enjoyable third book in the series, and I will be definitely be picking the next one up as soon as possible!

3.5 out of 5 stars

-M

P.S. Oh yeah, and all those witty comments (especially the “amber cover” and the “We’re not in a book” scenes) were awesome!! Don’t see that very much and it’s a real treat!

Since there is a teaser for Apollyon in the book, you can check out my Goodreads review that included it here!!


Link to Goodreads here.






No comments:

Post a Comment