Sunday, January 13, 2013

Review: Emerge by Lila Felix

Emerge by Lila Felix


"Jenna has spent too long being complacent and accepting. 
Her mother and step-father constantly belittle and berate 
her for simply being alive. She passes through life keeping 
everyone and everything at arm’s length because it’s just not worth 
the questions or the pity party. She takes what they dish out and 
just tries to survive.
She has thought up a million different ways to get away from them, 
but lacked the motivation and the sheer will. Like a fast moving tornado, 
her motivation comes in the form of a boy who cares for her as none other 
has and who shows her a glimpse of hope, a glimpse into a life she never 
thought she could have.
But is her new motivation enough to get her out…"

Thoughts:

Back from my hiatus, and pleasantly unsurprised......

I found out about this book from Shelly Crane's top book list of 2012, and of course I had to read it. I purposefully waited for Christmas to buy this one because I knew I could only get it from Amazon Kindle or order it. In the mean time I read the excerpt and absolutely fell in love with it. Jenna grabbed my attention with her dry humor, but had a very serious and tormented side. This is one of those books that you can't put down until you have finished because you are so emotionally invested in the characters.

In the the book, Jenna (the main character) is abused and hated by her mother and step-father. The thing that I most like about her is the fact that in normal books, the main character would complain and complain and complain..... well, you get the point. Jenna is able to cope with it and is one of the most strong females I've read. Just because she is "damaged" she is so strong to the point at which it's admirable. Along with the strong and caring disposition that Jenna has, she has a smart mouth and is wonderfully hilarious. She made me laugh out loud and Jenna's thoughts on her home life got me fuming at times. (I almost threw the book 1 or 2 times, not something that I'd like to admit.) Jenna is amazing, I'll leave it at that.

Carlos.....sigh. Can it get any better than that heartwarming man? The love interest in this book was to die for. He was sweet, charming, protective, and dedicated (which as all fangirls know is the best combination). As Jenna and Carlos's relationship grow and things get rough, he is able to help Jenna along with keeping his emotions intact. Carlos is fiercely protective if her, and he brings out a side of her that no one else gets to see. If Carlos is a tornado, together the they are a hurricane.

Along with all the good, I got a little whiplash or something with him wanting to marry her so fast. I've never really read anything like that before (that didn't involve Aces) so it caught me off guard. Moreover, Lila Felix is a wonderful author that weaved humor with determination and will. This book (so close to literally it's palpable) takes you on a emotional roller coaster of rage, hatred, love, desperation, and ultimately joy. The story and characters suck you in from the very first to last page. This is one of those books that boggles my mind as to why they aren't more popular, because this book deserves all the attention it can get.

5 out of 5 stars 

-M

P.S. I think I might have imprinted on this book. 
P.P.S Note to Lila Felix: Listened to Howl by F & TM. Can't believe how perfect that song was!

View this amazing book here.






No comments:

Post a Comment