Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Review: Love & Skate by Lila Felix

Love & Skate by Lila Felix

(This book was given to me by the author for an honest review.)


"On the rink she’s tough, she’s a leader, she’s fast and she’s the epitome of a rebellious girl. But Nellie’s been hurt, only once, but it was enough to make her look at life through different eyes and off the rink she’s a timid girl who loves with no pretenses.A long time ago Owen Black was betrayed by the girl he thought he loved and the guy he called his best friend. The anguish set off a domino effect of negativity in his life and he never has fully recovered. He meets Nellie Forrester and thinks he can let it go for her. But how can you love someone when the wounds from your past are still wide open?"


Thoughts:


Lila Felix's books are like cotton candy for a 5 year old....

Asdfjkl, Lila Felix they just keep getting better and better! Even after reading some of her books basically in a row, all three of them have still got me hooked on her addictive writing. Her ability to snatch the reader's attention makes it the perfect "read the book with a nice cup of tea and a rainy day". I would say she has written some of the best quick reads, but thought provoking books I've ever read. She intelligently and expertly weaves humor, romance, deep, and emotional roller coasters that are darn near genius. I love how the main characters always have to get over some personal hurtle, and I don't think it is as prominent in Love & Skate than any other book (Past wise. I think all her books are unique in their own way.)

Nellie is the main-main character in Love & Skate. She has a lot more spunk than any of the other characters in Felix's books, and I loved it. She was so cool with her hair and the fact that she played Roller Derby. She; surprisingly, was mostly above the ridicule of her mother and past (I mean, there are exceptions, but mostly).  In my opinion, she was not so much as sweet as Owen saw her, but more caring and charismatic. She was dedicated and like a stone wall when it came to her relationships with the Black family, link a...fluffy concrete wall (in a great way of course).

I must address something that I need to tell all of you about Owen Black. He grows on you. Literally. I don't think the character got to the actual size as described in the book until like the last chapter. Anyway, as well as Nellie, Owen has a hurt past. I liked Owen's mental war that made him almost paranoid to the point where he had a breakdown. I loved the protectiveness he had for Nellie, and how much he respected her. I am going to say something really absurd, and fans of this book everywhere will eternally hate me. I. DON'T. BLAME. OWEN. For some reason I just wasn't mad at him for what he said. I don't know why, I was just calm and collected through the whole ordeal. I actually got mad at Nellie for seeming to overreact. Overall, I really loved Owen. 

The pace of the novel felt a little slow at some times, and in hindsight I've noticed that with Perchance as well. The plot felt a little bit too similar to Perchance too. The double POVs were definitely similar, but it was more how they met and how the sequence of the plot played out. I honestly liked Love & Skate a bit better because of the characters, for some reason. With school really getting in the way of them interacting on a daily basis it seemed a bit more real. I was frankly disappointed there wasn't a epilogue though... 

Great work Lila Felix. I solute your craft and point everyone your way whenever they suggest an awesome, meaningful, quick read that takes you on a wonderful emotional roller coaster!

5 out of 5 stars

-M

P.S. Finishing Defiance then on to Hoax.....very excited for some more Lila Felix!

Ahhh, good ole' Goodreads. View Love & Skate here.





No comments:

Post a Comment